Cisco has released new data from its Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, containing a host of compelling statistics about global mobile data and traffic. Among the interesting findings is a breakdown of the top applications for data consumption, as measured by the Cisco Data Meter during Q4 2012. According to that analysis, video streaming and communications applications such as YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix accounted for exactly half of data consumption on tablets, and 45% on smartphones.
That aligns with research last year from Allot Communications, which found that YouTube alone accounted for one-quarter of global mobile bandwidth in the second half of 2011. Read the rest at MarketingCharts.
Other Articles You May Enjoy:
- Online Videos Views By Device, Q4 2011 – Q4 2012 [CHART]
- Top North American Downstream Traffic Sources, May 2013 [CHART]
- Streaming Video Services’ Effect On Premium Cable Channel Subscriptions, July 2013 [CHART]
- Weekly American Netflix Streamers, 2010 & 2013 [CHART]
- Top Bandwidth Hogs, H1 vs H2 2013 [CHART]