Mobile rich media ads have cited for their benefits by Opera Advertising, Celtra, and MediaMind, but a new report from MoPub questions their efficacy during Q4 2012, finding that rich media ad units on its real-time bidding exchange received higher eCPMs throughout the quarter, but did not always get correspondingly higher click-through rates. For example, in December, while rich media units received 40% higher eCPMs than non-rich media units ($1.16 vs. $0.83), their average click-through rate was only 18% higher (1.3% vs. 1.1%).
In October, while sporting a 27% higher average eCPM, rich media ads did not have a higher average click-through rate (CTR). Only in November did rich media units have a greater lift in CTR than in pricing. Read the rest at MarketingCharts.
Other Articles You May Enjoy:
- Advertising Click-Through Rate By Format, H1 2012 [CHART]
- Mobile Rich Media Engagement Rates, Q2 2012 [CHART]
- Mobile Ad Shares By Type [CHART]
- Ad Click-Through Rate By Format, 2012 [CHART]
- Site Visits By Banner, Rich Media & Video Ads [CHART]